Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 355374 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: The latest road tragedy
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 09:03:03 pm »
THERE IS something wrong with the road, but it is only a comparatively small thing, but might, just might, have made the difference. The camber of the road is not too good. I was aware of this 30 years or so ago because, as a HGV/PCV driver, you have to be aware of these things, otherwise you wont be driving for very long. Its not too bad, I've no doubt there are plenty of other spots as bad or worse. But, I always feel a bit guilty after hearing of an accident like this. Should I have made a fuss about it. And if I had, would it have made any diference? By the way, I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE CAMBER CAUSED IT. I am just pointing out that it might have made the marginal difference. Mike

Yorkie

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 11:24:37 am »
One of the "modern" self- inflicted challenges to today's young motorists is to have "time trials" over a set course normally starting at a point (such as The Links), racing to a distant roundabout, and returning in the fastest time.  This is normally carried out in the late evenings when traffic is quiet, the police are not to be seen and the reckless actions of the, often inexperienced, driver can be witnessd by all his (or her) mates.

In the pursute of ever increasing speed and faster times, tragedy is inevitable. 

This happens all over the country and is not exclusive to Llandudno.

One answer could be for young drivers to be encouraged to join a recognised car group and get more experience in the company of more qualified drivers.  Many of these clubs and groups have "track days" held under the guidance of experienced rally or track drivers and these days can fulfill the desire for speed in a safe environment and also improve general driving skills.

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 12:20:34 am »
many years ago when i had a motor bike we used to race up conwy road before the new road,when we got to about fifty yards short of the old g.p.o.building we would get right into the gutter on the left hand side and then aim the bike at the apex of the bend,because we knew that there was an adverse camber to the bend.at a later date we also done this with cars,at this time conway road had a lot of older trees which were killers if you struck them.the bend could be improved,a small wall on the outside of the bend and the road raised to improve the camber with a crash barrier on the top.but the bottm line is observing the speed limits ,i didnt but was lucky,some were not,as you get older you tend to learn by your mistakes and even better by others

Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 07:53:45 am »
the bend could be improved,a small wall on the outside of the bend and the road raised to improve the camber with a crash barrier on the top.

What a great idea - NOT!   Turning our roads into a "safe" haven for speeders is no answer!   ))*

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 08:17:38 pm »
Ryan Llewelyn Owen

Funeral at Holy Trinity Church, Llandudno. Wednesday 22 September 2010. at 1pm followed by Interment at Llanrhos Cemetery.
Funeral Directors: Tom Owen & Son tel. 01492 860280

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 09:48:00 pm »
On the evidence of some of the driving we encountered coming back into town from Llanrwst this evening some people obviously have already forgotten the accident and any possible lessons they could have learned from it. The car overtaking us on the approach to the same roundabout (in sight of all the floral tributes) must have been doing 60 or 70 mph.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 08:13:50 am »
I've rarely encountered those sorts of speeds there, but I only drive that road during daylight hours.  Most of the time it's people who seem to have no concept whatsoever of lane discipline, signalling or the existence of other road users.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 09:34:33 am »
A couple of coppers with a stinger for an hour or so each night would sort the problem!   WWW WWW WWW

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 06:33:09 pm »
A PARTY goer was two-and-a-half times over the drink drive limit when he went out to buy more booze and crashed, killing himself and injuring two others.

Frankie James Clark, 23, lost control of his Peugeot 106 and smashed into a lorry at almost 70mph in a 40mph zone at the A55’s Conwy tunnel, an inquest heard.

The accident caused hours of tailbacks on October 22. Mr Clark, of Llandudno, was travelling westbound but the tunnel entrance was closed for maintenance and traffic was being diverted into a single lane contraflow.

He skidded at least 60 metres (198 feet) into a white, Scania HGV lorry at about 2am. He died from “head trauma”.

His back seat passenger Jemma Hender, 20, was badly hurt. Front seat passenger Wayne Edward King, 20, suffered a seatbelt burn mark. All three wore seatbelts. The Spanish haulier was driving correctly in his own lane at 39.9mph and was not seriously hurt.

Kirit Champaneria, North East Wales assistant deputy coroner, heard Mr Clark and Mr King had earlier called at a Craig y Don flat of friend Clare Jones.

Mr King said Mr Clark had been on an Anti-Social Behaviour Order not to drink in a pub but drank in a party at the flat. Mr Clark also had a “couple of pulls off a spliff of cannabis”.

Mr Clark had twice borrowed Clare’s car with her permission to buy alcohol and had gone out the second time to Tesco in Llandudno Junction.

Maintenance worker William Walker was standing in an A55 layby and heard the Peugeot approach Conwy Tunnel at speed: “I was very concerned,” he said. “Twenty metres before the chicane, there was smoke and a screech. The HGV came out of the eastbound portal and I heard an almighty bang as they collided.”

Recording an accidental death verdict, the coroner found Mr Clark had 200mg of alcohol per litre in his blood, the legal limit being 80mg. Traces of cocaine were also found in his body.

After a joint report by accident investigators Sergeant Colin Dobbins and Gary Roberts, Mr Roberts estimated Mr Clark was travelling at least 66mph.

He added: “He was 2.5 times the maximum legal alcohol limit. This would have adversely affected his judgement and ability to drive safely. This was the overriding factor and the cause of the collision. His speed was excessive and inappropriate.”

But Mr Roberts said no similar collision had been caused in the previous five years at a chicane style contraflow. He has nonetheless contacted the North Wales Trunk Road Agency to discuss the lay-out of such roadworks.

Frankie’s elder brother Joseph Clark told the inquest in Prestatyn that Frankie, a former Ysgol John Bright pupil and a Manchester United FC fan, was a qualified bricklayer and a fitness fanatic with many friends. Joseph had himself lost his daughter Chloe in an A55 road accident on Rhuallt Hill in 2008.

At Frankie’s inquest, Jemma Hender’s parents Norman and Louise described her injuries. She had broken eye sockets, chest and neck bones. Her left arm, wrist and leg were also broken. She can’t straighten her arms and is having surgery to rebuild her elbows. Mrs Hender said: “We would like to thank Frankie’s family for their care and concern for us.”

They also praised the police and emergency services. Mr Hender added: “Jemma will need surgery to rebuild her elbows. But she is back at work as a cleaner in Llandudno Hospital.”

Offline Trojan

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 09:55:40 pm »
Recording an accidental death verdict, the coroner found Mr Clark had 200mg of alcohol per litre in his blood, the legal limit being 80mg. Traces of cocaine were also found in his body.

So....did the excessive alcohol & traces of drugs find their way into his body by "accident?"

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 01:03:52 am »
Drink Driving might be a terrible thing ... BUT, there is nothing worse than having a crash when you are sober !!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 01:43:15 am »
Drink Driving might be a terrible thing ... BUT, there is nothing worse than having a crash when you are sober !!
Just what point are trying to make there?

"Drink driving might be a terrible thing"......MIGHT?

Compare this to an accident when sober?
Please let me know what drugs you are being prescribed because that can't of statement is not made by someone compos mentis. If you are going to come on this forum and pass comment, at least do it sober.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:20 am »
Fester was being tongue-in-cheek. If you read his other posts you will see that his sense of humour is alive and well.  :'(
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 09:21:18 am »
Of course, contrary to popular conception, there is no such thing as an accident.   *&(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 09:26:05 am »
The Freudians believe that, but I always wonder about sudden catastrophic failure, such as an element failing abruptly without apparent reason.