Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 355365 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #780 on: March 19, 2018, 10:17:02 am »
Cayley Promenade in Rhos on Sea has been closed. My colleague David Powell has taken this photo at the scene showing lots of pieces of tarmac on the road. ref DP

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #781 on: March 19, 2018, 11:20:17 am »
That section of the promenade took quite a pounding over the weekend  and I'm glad that one of those bits of tarmac didn't land on my bonce when I was taking some photos,

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #782 on: March 19, 2018, 12:50:08 pm »
Dave, I went on the course a few years ago, it pays to swat up on the Highway Code the day before, if you don't want to be at the bottom of the class, it was one of the most boring days of my life, but you have to stay awake or you will fail!
I didn't realise there was an exam!
Nice to see I'm not the only one to admit to falling foul of the speed limits! I happen to strongly disagree with Jeremy Clarkson, speed does kill. The limits are set for perceived public safety but drivers should use judgement as to what that safe speed should be. Often a safe speed is well below the legal limit so conversely it makes sense that on occasion it's not dangerous to go a bit faster too but I guess we all have differing opinions of where and when both should be applied so we end up with set limit which may or may not get you in trouble!

If only more people were this sensible, there would be a lot fewer deaths on the roads of this country.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #783 on: March 19, 2018, 12:56:31 pm »
I have been on this course, The instructor said the speed limit is a maximum not a target, I said driving from Conwy to LLanwrst keeping to the speed limit means tailgating and dangerous overtaking  :-[

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Roads in the area Manchester Airport drop off changes
« Reply #784 on: March 20, 2018, 02:55:06 pm »
These big changes at Manchester Airport will affect anyone dropping-off people at the site
The move is being made in a bid to relieve congestion at the airport which is extremely popular with holidaymakers from North Wales.

Here's the main one - Manchester Airport is getting rid of its free 'kiss and fly' drop-off lanes.
It means you'll have to pay or use a shuttle bus to get anywhere near the terminals.
It's part of an attempt to relieve crippling congestion around the site.

From June, drivers will be charged £3 for five minutes on the forecourts of the terminals and train station, or £4 for a maximum 10 minutes.
Airport bosses are also opening a free off-site drop-off car park on Thorley Lane.
Based in the former Jet Park 1 - up to now a long-stay car park for holidaymakers - passengers will be dropped off before taking a shuttle bus to their terminal.

It will take seven minutes to cover the half mile to terminal two or 12 minutes to bridge the 1.2 mile journey to terminals one and three.

The ‘express drop-off charge’ and free parking are aimed at freeing up the hub’s congested roads, which have been the subject of a barrage of Twitter complaints in recent months.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/manchester-airport-parking-flights-shuttle-14435264

Offline Hugo

« Reply #785 on: March 30, 2018, 10:39:25 pm »
I'm just pleased that I don't have to use the A55 on this Bank Holiday

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-know-three-separate-crashes-14477711

Offline hollins

« Reply #786 on: April 02, 2018, 11:15:48 am »
This Daily Post article might make you feel a bit better Dave.
Amazing statistics if they are correct. Not sure where the press get them from.
I wonder if the Irish plate drivers got prosecuted also?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/abergele-a55-roadworks-speeding-cameras-14481210

Offline DVT

« Reply #787 on: April 02, 2018, 12:52:23 pm »
For speed limit areas such as that I set the limiter on my car - it is really un-nerving to be driving through, unable to accelarate, when you have your rear-view mirror filled with a close-up of an Irish truck grille.  Arguably far more dangerous than going through slightly over the limit.

Offline Dave

« Reply #788 on: April 02, 2018, 01:23:52 pm »
This Daily Post article might make you feel a bit better Dave.
Amazing statistics if they are correct. Not sure where the press get them from.
I wonder if the Irish plate drivers got prosecuted also?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/abergele-a55-roadworks-speeding-cameras-14481210

Well the one thing I have learnt is that instead of getting there 15 minutes before my speed awareness course starts as instructed I need to make it earlier as it looks like standing room only.
Interesting statistics, the one that I would really like to know is how many were prosecuted for speeding when the workforce wasn't actually working, ie weekends.
Nice little earner for the council though, should cover the cost of the work they were doing.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #789 on: April 02, 2018, 04:03:55 pm »
For speed limit areas such as that I set the limiter on my car - it is really un-nerving to be driving through, unable to accelarate, when you have your rear-view mirror filled with a close-up of an Irish truck grille.  Arguably far more dangerous than going through slightly over the limit.
Don't know about that but we used to come back from Bangor after a music event on Friday nights. It was quite surprising how quickly some of those trucks could take the bends on the bit without the tunnel and how close they could sit to a car's backside.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #790 on: April 02, 2018, 06:45:16 pm »
It's bad enough driving on the A55 anyway without this type of thing happening on Friday
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:49:28 pm by Ian »

Offline Dave

« Reply #791 on: April 02, 2018, 08:09:22 pm »
It's bad enough driving on the A55 anyway without this type of thing happening on Friday
Similar on the M62 today with tragic consequences, two innocent people died while the guilty driver survived.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #792 on: April 13, 2018, 10:44:06 pm »

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #793 on: April 14, 2018, 11:02:06 am »
This, a FaceBook 'forum' for A55 Traffic, Information, Incidents is brilliant.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1629801080592932/

Apart from posts on the traffic on the A55, there are other (sometimes very loosely) associated posts and the hilarity of the idiocy of some of the comments is hilarious.

It makes this forum seem positively intellectual.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #794 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:25 pm »
I was driving down the A470 the other day on my way to the Art Studio opposite the Tal Y Cafn Hotel and i noticed the Arrive Alive speed camera van parked on the verge at the far end of Glan Conwy.
I didn't think too much about it until I had passed the Welsh Food place and entered the section near the bend where that part of the road has double white lines.   
A short distance behind me was a tractor and that too was in the double white line section, then the next minute a very large commercial vehicle overtook the tractor on the double white lines and pulled in behind my car, but this time sadly the Police were not about and as I don't have a rear view camera the driver got away with his dangerous driving.
As I turned into the one way road of Ffordd Penrhyd I felt a bit intimidated by the erratic driving of the commercial vehicle

It's a good job that that section of Ffordd Penrhyd is one way as it is a potential death trap for any vehicle going on to the A470 and turning right as if to go to Glan Conwy.      Strangely and rather worryingly there is no No Entry sign where this section meets the other road and also by the A470 there is a Give Way sign.     I looked at the street on Google Street view and there was in fact a Mercedes car driving the wrong way down the road past the Art Studio and heading for the A470!      &shake&