Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358417 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #765 on: February 15, 2018, 09:25:28 am »
The truth is we all believe we are better drivers than we are.
I have an aversion to tailgaters, central lane hoggers, slow lane drivers who fail to anticipate traffic coming on to a dual carriage way and don't move over, traffic entering a dual carriageway down a slip road that imagine they have a right of way, drivers who think they have superior rights to the road than pedestrians, those who drive too fast in unsafe places ??? ???, lack of signalling, not knowing who has right of way etc,etc.
The list goes on and on.
Can I honestly say I have never put a foot wrong?
No, but neither can virtually anyone who has ever taken to the roads.
This will be my third speeding ticket in nearly 50 years of driving. Driving was a large part of my career and I have clocked up something around 1.5million miles. I count myself lucky that I have only been caught 3 times.
If there is anyone out there who hasn't broken the speed limit, never made a single error when driving then let me know and we'll see if we can get you sainthood.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #766 on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:14 am »
Everyone makes mistakes at some point; whether it's a momentary lack of concentration, a distraction or simply choosing the wrong lane - we've all done it.  But I think good drivers are those who continue to think about what they're doing.

We've spotted drivers engaged in conversation who feel they must look at the passenger to make their point, drivers who apparently have never discovered their vehicle's indicators, drivers who are convinced the speed limits only apply to everyone else and, at the other end of the scale, drivers who believe anything faster than 30mph on a derestricted road is madness. The thing is we often don't notice the drivers who drive well; we only see those who blatantly ignore good road sense, or even worse, excuse people who make dangerous mistakes.

Our pet hates are tailgaters, idiot signallers and those who get themselves in the wrong lane then simply choose to turn the way they want to, anyway.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #767 on: February 15, 2018, 05:44:30 pm »
My pet hate is, mainly, Taxi drivers who stop on the oncoming traffic side to drop off passengers, with their headlights on, especially the new Halogen lights. Iff a passenger alights on the road side it’s almost impossible to see them
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #768 on: February 15, 2018, 07:44:54 pm »
Not just taxi drivers, but people who drop passengers off whilst blocking the whole road. $angry$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #769 on: February 15, 2018, 08:03:58 pm »
Irish wagons do not get booked for speeding or at least they didn't in the past ,it was to much trouble to trace them or any other foreign registered wagon , it appears that the 50 mph limit through Colwyn Bay is totally ignored but I have never seen any speed checks On that stretch of road  , its only a matter of time before they have average speed cameras installed there all because people ignore the present speed limit 

Offline Dave

« Reply #770 on: February 15, 2018, 08:14:22 pm »
They have done speed checks on the Colwyn Bay A55 both with vans parked on the bridges and mobile patrol cars on the slip road.... and no, I haven't been caught there either.
I recently read somewhere that there are plans afoot to scrap the 50MPH limit and make it 70MPH.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #771 on: February 16, 2018, 03:42:18 pm »
Irish wagons do not get booked for speeding or at least they didn't in the past ,it was to much trouble to trace them or any other foreign registered wagon , it appears that the 50 mph limit through Colwyn Bay is totally ignored but I have never seen any speed checks On that stretch of road  , its only a matter of time before they have average speed cameras installed there all because people ignore the present speed limit 

That 50mph stretch through Colwyn Bay used to be the most policed speed limit in the area which brought it to the attention of the national press and the infamous Top Gear segment where Clarkson christened Brunstrum the Mad Mullah of the North Wales Taliban! You would rarely drive through without seeing a patrol car on the slip road at West End or Old Colwyn waiting for their next victim. They backed off a bit after all the negative press but if you look at your rear view mirror when you pass through you still occasionally see a police car parked on the slip road.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #772 on: February 21, 2018, 01:54:07 pm »
Essential surfacing works are due to be carried out on the eastbound carriageway at J24 at Abergele overnight from today (Wednesday) until Sunday.
It will see a full closure of the carriageway between the J24 off slip and J24 on slip road between the hours of 8pm and 6am.

A Traffic Wales tweet said: “Essential surfacing works on #A55 J24 Abergele Eastbound will start on Wednesday 21/02 - Sunday 25/02 between 20:00-06:00 with a full closure between J24 Abergele off slip and J24 on slip.”
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/parts-a55-shut-five-nights-14316377

Offline Hugo

« Reply #773 on: February 21, 2018, 02:47:53 pm »
I drove very carefully when I went past yesterday, unlike the time before when I exceeded the speed limit slightly.  Still haven't heard anything about it yet, but am keeping my fingers crossed

Offline Dave

« Reply #774 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24:08 pm »
I drove very carefully when I went past yesterday, unlike the time before when I exceeded the speed limit slightly.  Still haven't heard anything about it yet, but am keeping my fingers crossed

You are off the hook, we have had the letter , returned it, had a second one with the corrected driver on it..me, and I have paid and booked for my Driving Awareness Course. Incidentally mine was classed as a minor infringement.

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #775 on: February 22, 2018, 10:20:23 am »
I think there is a 5 day time limit for notification for a speeding offence Hugo 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #776 on: February 22, 2018, 10:47:02 am »
Thanks Dave and Robbie.         $good$

On Tuesday I let anyone overtake me including the White van man who was nearly in my  car boot but they seem to get away with it when it comes to being prosecuted

Offline Neil

« Reply #777 on: February 22, 2018, 02:21:08 pm »
Dave, I went on the course a few years ago, it pays to swat up on the Highway Code the day before, if you don't want to be at the bottom of the class, it was one of the most boring days of my life, but you have to stay awake or you will fail!

Offline Dave

« Reply #778 on: February 22, 2018, 03:01:03 pm »
Dave, I went on the course a few years ago, it pays to swat up on the Highway Code the day before, if you don't want to be at the bottom of the class, it was one of the most boring days of my life, but you have to stay awake or you will fail!
I didn't realise there was an exam!
Nice to see I'm not the only one to admit to falling foul of the speed limits! I happen to strongly disagree with Jeremy Clarkson, speed does kill. The limits are set for perceived public safety but drivers should use judgement as to what that safe speed should be. Often a safe speed is well below the legal limit so conversely it makes sense that on occasion it's not dangerous to go a bit faster too but I guess we all have differing opinions of where and when both should be applied so we end up with set limit which may or may not get you in trouble!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #779 on: March 06, 2018, 04:46:27 pm »
Major road resurfacing taking place at Maenan on the A470.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.