Author Topic: Football  (Read 230490 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Football
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:01:53 pm »
A short item in the Daily Post says that on this day in 1891 the first penalty kick in an English League football game was taken by Heath of Wolverhampton Wanderers against Accrington Stanley. Previously an infringement resulted only in a free kick for the wronged side.

Pity it did not add whether he was successful with the kick!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:47:56 pm by Ian »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Football
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 04:52:02 pm »
So Wayne Rooney has now signed a new 5 year contract to stay at Man Utd.

I wonder what made him change his mind after all that has gone on and been said this week. Some people don't seem to know how well-off they are, especially top footballers.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:33:18 pm »
Now that Ronaldo has gone to Real Madrid I think the Man U company accounts, when they next  appear,  may just show one single player who's wages are clearly far in excess of all the others and significantly more than they were before he signed the new contract. I bet Everton are really naffed off. I think I read they were due to collect 25% of the difference between what United bought him for and the price they would have sold him at.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:18:42 pm »
It was reported in the Daily Mirror that Wayne Rooney's wages plus his image rights for Man Utd   ???   come to £1 million per month!    :o
It's just obscene the amount that they get.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 06:40:07 pm »
And they managed to beat Stoke today 2-1 WITHOUT Rooney!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 10:51:29 am »
With a little help from the ref again!  No wonder Neville and Ferguson were smiling when Gary Neville was substituted. :rage:

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:23:34 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11626050

It's time to get the black arms bands (eight of them I suppose) out.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:35:10 am »
The ref has helped Man Utd again at Old Trafford for their second goal.  Nani handled the ball when he fell down and later got up and put the ball in the net because the ref hadn't blown his whistle and had let the play continue. ???
After the ref allowed the goal why didn't he book Nani for a deliberate handball?
Spurs must be a little bit miffed at the home town decisions at Old Trafford, they scored there a few years ago but the Utd goalkeeper Caroll scooped the ball back into play when it had gone a yard over the line.  The goal wasn't awarded then although it was obvious to every one else that it had crossed the line!      :rage:

Offline Paddy

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:51:32 pm »
Being a Bolton fan I think it would be inappropriate for me to get involved in any discussion abut football! I'm out.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:18:24 pm »
A kindred spirit Paddy. Pity about the result against Liverpool but I'd say our current league position is just about par or slightly better that I was expecting.

Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »
I for one am not the least bit upset about England not getting the vote to hold the World Cup in the UK.   

No doubt others will be disappointed.  My commiserations!
 ¢¢##

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 06:32:12 pm »
I think Dave R might well be in full agreement with you on this issue...  ZXZ
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 07:23:21 pm »
Well I for one am disappointed, and the main reason is that although the England bid was described as the best presentation technically by a lot of commentators (both English and foreign), how did it only manage to attract two votes out of 22 and one of those votes was by the UK executive committee representative,

I shall not comment further at this stage but wait for all the fall-out and the inquest when no doubt amongst other things, we shall find out exactly who the 22 are and how they voted. The whole FIFA organisation needs an over-haul and certainly needs to show more transparency to say the least.

However, congratulations to Russia on their success, I'm sure they will do a good job and especially with the Chelsea benefactor in their camp.

Yorkie

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 07:56:41 pm »
The thing is - we only heard the "good" publicity abouit the English bid and criticism of the rest.   Maybe if we had heard exactly what the foreign press had said ourselves, instead of it being second hand, the story may well have been different.  Our lot were a bit too confident as they always are and cry foul if they lose!  We don'tneed an inquest - lets just get on with life.     Z**

Maybe one reason why I have no interest in Football since I followed Barking Town as a kid!     ZXZ

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 03:46:28 pm »
So the Newcastle Utd owner Mike Ashley has angered lots of the fans by firing manager Chris Hughton. It was Hughton who led them to a runaway promotion from the Championship league last season and the club were not doing unreasonably in the Premier this time although they were beaten at the weekend. 'Chopping and changing' seldom works and there is a lot to be said for stability in these matters. I wonder what odds you could get now for relegation!