Author Topic: Football  (Read 230489 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Football
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 05:17:47 pm »
Little me or else Z@@

Offline Trojan

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2011, 06:29:04 pm »
I won't come near the 1984 classic at Old Trafford.

I was in the Scoreboard Paddock that night - just under 60,000 reds and a handful of Barcelona.

Have not seen an atmosphere like that at OT before or since.

1984 Cup Winners Cup - Manchester United vs Barcelona

Offline Trojan

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 12:54:43 am »
Manchester United - 1 Barcelona - 3

United were out-classed by all accounts.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 05:15:06 pm »
Manchester United - 1 Barcelona - 3

United were out-classed by all accounts.

Just out classed completely.   I did support Man Utd in the 50's and 60's and saw some cracking games against Real Madrid and Estudiantes (what a fight) but the attitude of the club to the spectators put me off going.  I used to sit in the old stand by the half way line and the last price I can remember paying for a seat was equivalent to 25p nowadays so it shows you how long it is since I went there.
Families could go in those days but not any more because of the prices.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 06:11:29 pm »
Those were the days when they actually had players from the local area - Brian Kidd & Nobby Stiles from Collyhurst, Eddie Coleman from Salford etc and all the foreign players were either from Scotland, Ireland or Wales.

Theatre of Dreams? So named because people fall asleep there?

Old Trafford seems to have more tiers than a wedding cake nowadays.  :roll:

What used to be the working mans game is all commercialized now.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »
I was at Old Trafford today, for the League One play off final...

Programmes were £6,   food and drink was outrageously priced... and the queing was chronic.

When a fight broke out in the crowd, near the end of the match, a Steward stepped in whilst others looked on ... and as the crowd turned on HIM, I witnessed the Police do absolutely nothing!     Other stewards eventually swarmed in, but not before he had taken a hiding, and the fight spread.

But at least 8 police officers in the same block, continued to do absolutely nothing.

...and yes, my team lost.   
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2011, 08:42:28 pm »
O'h dear Fester. I am so sorry that your team lost and horrified that you saw fighting at Old Trafford.
I usually go on my own to the Man Utd home matches and at first I must admit I was a bit nervous but having been several times now and seen 70.000 + fans file out in orderly polite fashion had made me more confident.

In reply to Hugo and Trojan the tickets are now between about £35 and £45 per game. I pay £25 a year for a membership which gives you £5 off each ticket and entry to the ballot if required.

I only got interested in football in 1999 so I am ignorant about the good old days.

In 1999 I was on a bus from Nice airport in to the city centre. There was a group of Man Utd fans on the bus. They were really amusing and asked me which stop was best for the station. They were going to catch a train to Marseille for a Champions League match.
I thought there must be something in this football lark and subsequently got hooked!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 09:03:04 pm »
Peterborough United - 3 Huddersfield Town - 0  :laugh:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 09:06:00 pm »
O'h dear Fester. I am so sorry that your team lost and horrified that you saw fighting at Old Trafford.

I'm horrified too.  :o

Offline Scott

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2011, 09:24:12 pm »
I was at Old Trafford today, for the League One play off final...

Programmes were £6,   food and drink was outrageously priced... and the queing was chronic.

When a fight broke out in the crowd, near the end of the match, a Steward stepped in whilst others looked on ... and as the crowd turned on HIM, I witnessed the Police do absolutely nothing!     Other stewards eventually swarmed in, but not before he had taken a hiding, and the fight spread.

But at least 8 police officers in the same block, continued to do absolutely nothing.

Er Fester you went to a football match at Old Trafford and seem appalled at £6 for a programme (isn't that quite cheap..try buying one at a Bon Jovi concert) expensive food (why does that bother you...it's food!! L0L) and surely you would expect chronic queuing in such an environment.
 If the police had got involved with the fight you would have probably said they were at fault for being heavy handed especially if they pulled their batons or some other some reason. (they are only human beings with a uniform after all.) Obviously the stewards are just as capable of dealing with the situation ( except without the powers of arrest).
Have you spent too much time sitting in your kiosk all alone...there's a big real world out there!! _))* _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2011, 10:02:35 pm »
Having reflected on this, perhaps the prices and queuing were no better or worse than any other major venue.

I have also seen lots of fights at football matches over the years.

BUT... Stewards, (annoying though they may be at times) are poorly trained and on minimum wage.
I do not expect them to wade in to fights, or to take a pasting themselves.

I DO expect well-paid, well protected and well trained Police officers to do something about a serious public order offence.
Especially as serious harm was being done...   I am not exaggerating when I say they just stood close by and made no effort to assist whatsoever.

I am not anti-police, never have been..(never will be) ... and I have several family members in the force.  But I have to be honest about what I witnessed today. 
Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »
 I am not exaggerating when I say they just stood close by and made no effort to assist whatsoever.

I am not anti-police, never have been..(never will be) ... and I have several family members in the force.  But I have to be honest about what I witnessed today. 

Why? Because it was Greater Manchester Police and Peterborough and Huddersfield fans were "out-of-towners"

You could always expect rougher treatment from, say, "The Old Bill" down in London or "The Bizzies" in Liverpool simply because you were on "their turf"

Most are football fans wearing a uniform.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2011, 10:24:59 pm »
Fester, I have had a season ticket at OT for over 20 years and I have never seen a fight either inside or outside the ground.

As for everything else, well you will have to accept that the FA probably hired the venue, stewards and also sold their own programmes.

Just count yourself lucky Huddersfield Town did not play at Wembley last night where tickets behind the goal where £300, £225, £150 and £80.

The match programme was £10 and a packet of crisps and a cup of tea were both £2.20 each.

In a few weeks time, me and the missus are going to the MEN to watch Neil Diamond and the tickets are £75 each plus a service charge of £8.25 each.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2011, 10:37:42 pm »
Bri... those responsible for the fighting were Huddersfield Fans, and I'm ashamed to say it...

But it was pretty extreme stuff,  people were getting badly hurt, and it went on for a long time.

More interesting than the game actually.
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »
people were getting badly hurt, and it went on for a long time.

Reminds me of Bash At The Beach 1999  :laugh: