Author Topic: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno  (Read 130497 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:39 am »
Can't argue with that Craig!   ££$

Of course there are a number of other people who have been instrumental (not musically) in helping in the development of the Town, and all who many think should be, or who are already, honoured!   Any suggestions from anyone, before I add my own?   ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10:43 am »
If you ask me, and you don't have to cos I will tell you anyway.

The only fitting memorial to him and the town is to bring back a similar family style entertainment show in the happy valley area.

I'm not holding my breath

££$ with your statue

craigollerton

« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:48 am »
Can't argue with that Craig!   ££$

Of course there are a number of other people who have been instrumental (not musically) in helping in the development of the Town, and all who many think should be, or who are already, honoured!   Any suggestions from anyone, before I add my own?   ;)

Well as Dave now has a reputation for making things happen... over to you Dave. No pressure.

craigollerton

« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2014, 10:44:44 am »
If you ask me, and you don't have to cos I will tell you anyway.

The only fitting memorial to him and the town is to bring back a similar family style entertainment show in the happy valley area.

I'm not holding my breath

££$ with your statue

I think there are two ways this could be done, clear what is at the rear of the cafeteria and build a dedicated space with stage, tiered concrete seating and build a small dwelling to lock away equipment etc. Or, use a stage which can be stored and erected/removed and people sit on the grass hill (bring your own towel), that would of course be the cheapest option. There is an open air theatre in Cornwall I visited recently which is thriving! Come on Llandudno, take a leaf out of their book. No one can say there is no call for this kind of thing, it is a major attraction. It just requires some forward thinking and a can do attitude from the local council.

Take a look...
http://www.minack.com/

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2014, 12:14:28 pm »
Just needs a bit of drive - there is already at least 3 musical groups in Llandudno going the acts are already there - they just need a headline act and somewhere to perform

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2014, 06:05:08 pm »
Have a look at Minack Theatre Porthcurno Cornwall.
Thats the way to do it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #201 on: July 30, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »
Liked the Minack theatre site, very determined, lots of drive......
It would be good to find out, which local groups (dance/theatre/bands etc.) would be interested in performing there, the more support , the stronger the argument.  $walesflag$     

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2014, 10:29:22 am »
I see loads of them on those sign things.

Llandudno show players are the only ones I know but there are about 3 or 4 others I'm sure. Another one is a wartime thing.

Ricky Tomlinson seems popular perhaps he could do a guest spot one day  D)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:40 am »
http://thoughtsofoscar.blogspot.co.uk/?_sm_au_=iVVHWR04vH5DZFf7

Oscar doesn't like the statue idea  :twoface:

craigollerton

« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2014, 11:54:37 am »
http://thoughtsofoscar.blogspot.co.uk/?_sm_au_=iVVHWR04vH5DZFf7

Oscar doesn't like the statue idea  :twoface:

Re: 'The Alex Munro bust subject has reared it's head again by the boy Ollerton, it will soon be like a bloody theme park if they all get their own way!'

You could say there are enough dinosaurs in this town Oscar it already looks like Jurassic Park, that including yourself. Looking at some of the 'anon' comments published, quite frankly it's disgusting you permissed them. A total lack of respect for Alex, and his family who I am sure will see them. As for the usual attacks on myself, that's really old news now.

Back to the topic in hand, let's not get distracted.

craigollerton

« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2014, 12:11:58 pm »
Liked the Minack theatre site, very determined, lots of drive......
It would be good to find out, which local groups (dance/theatre/bands etc.) would be interested in performing there, the more support , the stronger the argument.  $walesflag$   

Absolutely Steve. This venue would be another bow to the string of Llandudno's tourism portfolio, it could provide an entry level setting for amateur dramatics, local groups, bands as you say, and progressively more professional performers. It could eventually provide a venue for evening outdoor entertainment as does the Minack in Cornwall. And like the Minack, it would be set against the picturesque backdrop of the Great Orme's Head and Horizon. It might be worth looking at other community venues such as 'Chapter' in South Wales, which is a successfully run community hub with it's own indoor performance spaces, but the concept of community performance spaces could be looked at to ensure the viability of the project. Could it be partnered with Venue Cymru perhaps, I am sure just that thought alone will stir some controversy but it could work out complimentary to their commercial causes if thought through carefully.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2014, 05:11:49 pm »
Alternatively, we could all move down to Cornwall . . . . . . A sort of Exodus of The Three Towns!   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2014, 06:10:48 pm »
I actually think the Bandstand on the prom is a more viable performance space, being as it is already equipped with a stage, power, lighting etc and the ability to set up plenty of seating via the deckchairs. Why don't all the amateur groups commit to doing a show there one afternoon and evening a week?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2014, 06:33:26 pm »
It is a pity the Bandstand is not used more, but I think the vagaries of our weather could put many performers and spectators off.    Worth a try though!   :D
Cicero

craigollerton

« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2014, 06:47:00 pm »
I actually think the Bandstand on the prom is a more viable performance space, being as it is already equipped with a stage, power, lighting etc and the ability to set up plenty of seating via the deckchairs. Why don't all the amateur groups commit to doing a show there one afternoon and evening a week?

Its called a band stand for a reason. It does not have the same qualities of a purpose built amphitheatre space, elevated seating for one. Seating can be built permanently into the amphitheatre space out of concrete, local stone or grass topped, chairs don't have to be put out and taken down, you cant sell anything on the prom, the cafeteria could provide refreshments that the bandstand cannot, there's the commercial sense straight away. It's easy to be trigger happy and dismiss the suggestion, but why not embrace our heritage and bring something once great back rather than put it down to changing times. Look how well the Minack does it. I won't bang on, just throw my suggestion out the window as you please. I tried  :-X