Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Local News & Discussion / Re: CCBC costs and cutting
« Last post by Cambrian on Today at 07:34:47 pm »
Hugo, if we still had Llandudno UDC, it would be done.  You can see the arguments - because we can't do all the rural lanes (don't many folk have tractors ?) we won't do Llandudno!!  I seem to remember one of the criteria for gritting was whether or not the road was served by a bus route.  That seems to have been quietly dropped - the route of the 26 (same bus) in residential areas is not gritted.
Local News & Discussion / Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 02:59:46 pm »
Llandudno paddling pool work delayed by Storm Pierrick fall-out
The attraction failed to open at all in 2023
I'm absolutely shocked at the news as the Pool was looking the best it has been in a couple of years!        ;)

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-paddling-pool-work-delayed-28999084
Hobbies and Interests / Re: Railways
« Last post by mull on Today at 10:24:20 am »
Hi Cambrian----That is too  sensible .
Local News & Discussion / Re: CCBC costs and cutting
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 10:18:27 am »
That could be a grave mistake if the CCBC does not grit the Great Orme and it's on a bus route too.    In the photo I've attached the single storey property on the right has been hit by cars a number of times during Winter conditions.    The last time it was hit by a car there was a big crack down the front of the building and the tenant had to be evacuated as the building was deemed unsafe.
At that point in Ty Gwyn Road the slope in the road means that in icy conditions the vehicles would slide in that direction towards that building and to Old Road.   Bollards have since been placed in front of that property to stop any cars crashing in to it in the future
Hobbies and Interests / Re: Local Wildlife
« Last post by SteveH on Today at 10:07:44 am »
We had visitors in the garden last night.    The Badgers had got in my back garden and climbed up a tree to get at a Peanut holder I have got for the birds.  They scrunched the top so much so that I'll probably need to buy another new one.
Because they failed to get the peanuts they have taken it out on my lawn and it now looks like an area of the Klondyke!
The photos were taken a while ago when the Badgers used to come here every night and not do any damage

Hugo great photos....................

We had visitors too last, but a lot smaller, a pair of hedgehogs playing   in the garden, we suspect to see more in the future.
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: Points to Ponder
« Last post by SteveH on Today at 10:04:03 am »
Unemployment jumps as UK jobs market stalls

The UK jobs market is showing signs of stalling as the number of people out of work rose, according to new figures.

The unemployment rate increased to 4.2% between December and February, which is the highest level for six months.

Meanwhile, the rate of people with a job dipped and the economically inactive - those not in work or looking for employment - ticked higher.

Economists suggested the data could spur the Bank of England to cut interests rates in the summer.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68820103 +}}{--
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: National Health Service
« Last post by SteveH on Today at 09:57:03 am »
Interesting article from... Health Board Chair Dyfed Edwards on recognising when social factors might impact on a person?s health

'Support for improving our health and well-being is wider than the NHS and often lies in our communities'

One of the significant developments that has interested me, since I became the Health Board?s Chair, has been the breadth and scale of preventative work we conduct within communities across the region.

read more  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/health/health-board-chair-dyfed-edwards-28994218?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589
Music, TV, Radio & The Arts / Re: Favourite TV Shows
« Last post by SteveH on Today at 09:46:46 am »
I am part way through watching the BBCs Rebuilding Notre-Dame programme, fascinating and the work is outstanding, link below if you missed it.........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0016v1h

ALSO coming soon..........

BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys in Conwy - how to watch

Conwy, Colwyn Bay and Llandudno are all set to feature on BBC's Great Coastal Railway Journeys on Friday (April 19).

Great Coastal Railway Journeys, which features Michael Portillo as host, is into its third series having begun back in 2022.
So far this series he has already visited other Welsh locations including Anglesey, Porthmadog and Cardigan Bay.

This week viewers will see Portillo explore areas within the Conwy county and Eryri (Snowdonia) National Park in a new episode of Great Coastal Railway Journeys.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24253644.bbc-great-coastal-railway-journeys-conwy---watch/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589
Hobbies and Interests / Re: Cars
« Last post by SteveH on Today at 09:38:02 am »
Limiting what new drivers can do will combat 'needless' deaths, says AA
The AA president said one in five young drivers crash within a year of passing their test.

A series of restrictions on new drivers may soon be on the horizon, as they could save thousands of lives and help tackle serious injuries on the road, according to the AA. The automotive firm said motorists should be prevented from carrying similarly-aged people for at least six months after they've passed their test.

It also advised that new drivers should be forced to keep a record of evidence that they've driven on every type of road. The restrictions would be in force under a graduated driving licence system; these licences place limitations on motorists for a specific period of time after they've passed.

They're used in a number of countries, including the US, Canada, Australia and Sweden. In July 2019, The Department for Transport (DfT) revealed that it was considering launching the licences across England. However, it was stopped in 2020, partially due to the possible impact on young people's job prospects.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/graduated-licences-could-combat-needless-deaths-among-young-drivers-says-aa/

WORK to install two new toucan crossings on the A470 is underway.

Work to make 'active travel' changes started in January on Marl Lane and A470.

New paths and kerbs on the A470 have been installed and on Marl Drive, work has started on a shared use path, new kerbs, and crossing points.

A spokesperson for Conwy County Borough Council said: "Work is continuing on this active travel route. Our contractor has installed the new path and kerbs on the A470 and is now working on two new toucan crossings.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24255329.work-starts-toucan-crossings-a470-llandudno-junction/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10