Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: Kingdom Security
« Last post by born2run on Today at 01:40:19 PM »
 8)

Great news. It shows people power can work.
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: Kingdom Security
« Last post by SteveH on Today at 01:19:50 PM »
Quote from Meleri's post above.....  " They are adding strict caveats that Kingdom employees do not go on private land (as they did at Zip World), also the officers must be more visible (so no hiding around ready to pounce)and they must cover a greater geographic spread and not just concentrate on prime areas (so patrol more rural areas with less rich pickings)."

Controversial litter enforcement company, Kingdom is quitting Conwy .

The firm has given notice to the council that it does not want to extend its contract after August 9.
The firm, which hands out fines to litter bugs, has been at the centre of much controversy over its dealings with members of the public.
Concern had been raised about the number of fines it hands out and where staff from the company focus their attentions, with rural councillors saying the rules are rarely enforced in their wards.

Last week the councilís cabinet voted to offer to extend the contract beyond August until the end of the financial year in March.

But Kingdom has told the council itís not interested and no longer wants to work in Conwy.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[quote
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: Points to Ponder
« Last post by born2run on Today at 12:01:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's a strange old world when a lot of people are struggling to make ends meet and there are others who have so much wealth and  have little consideration for others.   A contrasting set of basic values.
An article in the Daily Mirror yesterday was headed "WHAT A WASTE"  and went on to say that Burberry burnt £28 million worth of designer gear in a bid to protect its image!
It went on to add that Burberry over the last 5 years has destroyed £90 millions worth of designer gear to stop them appearing in the grey market.
Now Burberry is not the only company to burn unsold products, Nike, Richemont, Urban Outfitters and H & M and others are all doing the same thing.
There is a business side to this but also on the other hand a moral side but I wonder if any of those companies claim losses for this in their company accounts when the articles have in fact been destroyed deliberately by the company itself

They should cut the labels out and send them to people in disaster areas/3rd world countries!

They still have the logos on the front. Let's be fair a lot of impoverished kids wearing Nike isn't the image they want. Fashion is all about aspiration. The impoverished kids can make the gear in the sweat shops, but don't let them wear it!
Local News & Discussion / Re: Llandudno Pier
« Last post by Fester on Today at 12:11:52 AM »
Let me add a bit to this BlongB, and correct part of what youíre saying.
Itís well over a month ago that Simon told me personally that the pier was going to be closing for four days in July for filming.   From the Happy Valley gates upwards.  Thatís long been known.  In fact Simon broadcast it on his Facebook page round about that time.
Heíd told the four affected concessions before he told me, as he was also looking into the possibility of compensation for them.
Fast forward a couple of weeks, and the concessions were aware that about half the benches would have to be moved.  Those nearest the 2 caravan sales kiosks.   That was annoying because they normally store them in the arcade in winter, but couldnít in high season.
I donít know anything about the water pipe that supplies the bar, toilets and cafe though.
An easy thing to edit out I would have thought, just like the wind farm was going to be.
Local News & Discussion / Re: Llandudno Pier
« Last post by Blongb on Yesterday at 11:16:40 PM »
I've been forwarded some information - anonymously - which I'll print here:

"Adam Williams went on holiday after leaving a contract unsigned for £75k with the BBC for 4 days filming.
This would have netted him approximately £50k profit.  On his return it's alleged he demanded the sum be upped to £90k.  The film company reluctantly agreed.

It's then alleged that on the day the film cmpany trucks arrived, he pushed for another £15,000,  at which point the film company had had enough and arranged Penarth Pier within an hour of his demand.

The BBC were also going to give the four affected kiosk owners £1000 each.  They are distraught now."

Your anonymous source failed to inform you of all the extra demands that the film crew required to be carried out, at the last minute, before they started to film and which hadn't been agreed to in the unsigned contract. All the benches removing plus the removal of the fire main pipe work plus the shutting down the pier to the General Public for up to 4 days. The amount of money the Production Company were willing to pay would not have covered Adam Williams losses. Let Penarth have the disruption, they're welcome to it.
Times Past / Re: Old Public Houses in Bryn Pydew
« Last post by Hugo on Yesterday at 10:25:46 PM »
Just as a matter of interest Yvonne in the Census records of the mid 1800's is there a mention of the pub on them?
Games, Jokes & Quizzes / Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Last post by hollins on Yesterday at 09:01:01 PM »
Thanks Meleri for your memories. It is indeed a beautiful area and a first visit for me.
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: Points to Ponder
« Last post by Fester on Yesterday at 08:30:36 PM »
Just to add a little balance here...
On many occasions, companies I have worked for were compelled to destroy stocks of merchandise for reason of cost.  It was the only way that import duties and tax could be reclaimed.
An example,  a delivery of 10,000 tshirts, infested by bugs.
Cost of merchandise, £2.00.    Value now, worthless, as the cost of inspection and refurbishment is £3.00 per item.
Import duty was 25p.    So that was the only salvageable amount.
To reclaim this, HMRC required physical proof of the destruction of the goods.
Local News & Discussion / Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Last post by Hugo on Yesterday at 07:19:32 PM »
Yesterday sometime there were a number of Police cars in Kings Drive stopping cars going up the hill and redirecting them on to the Old Highway.
Anyone know what was going on/
Fix My Street / Rubbish min-y-don Old Colwyn, 22nd July
« Last post by Nigel The News Bot on Yesterday at 07:03:13 PM »
Rubbish min-y-don Old Colwyn, 22nd July

Every Friday & Sat rubbish crown round local dog walker's having to pick up all the time, children's play area littered with rubbish.

Nearest road to the pin placed on the map (automatically generated by Bing Maps): 1 Min-Y-Don Drive, Old Colwyn
Report on FixMyStreet

Source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10