Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Local News & Discussion / Re: West Shore Issues
« Last post by spotty dog on Today at 12:24:48 PM »
There are two rafts one off BlackRocks breakwater and one off morfa beach .the Harbour master department have a man with quad bike on patrol but stupidly 9 to 5 not in sink with the tides
Local News & Discussion / Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Last post by Nemesis on Today at 10:38:20 AM »
It was still light with a very pink sky when we took the dog out at 10.15pm.
Local News & Discussion / Re: West Shore Issues
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 09:15:05 AM »
Another rescue from the sandbanks on the West Shore and the 21 people were lucky this time but with the recent hot weather and the increasing number of tourists this situation might get worse.  We have talked about it before but when I last walked on the West Shore I could only see one life raft and that was nearer Deganwy than Llandudno.   Is there another one between the car park and the Toll house?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hobbies and Interests / Re: Local Wildlife
« Last post by Ian on Today at 09:12:37 AM »
In my apiarist days many moons ago, a swarm occurred and the bees following that queen all congregated on a blue hillman minx.
Times Past / Re: John Bright Grammar School
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 08:32:38 AM »
Thanks Cambrian,  I did read that bit many years ago but didn't realise that Norman Tucker wrote it, I think that because the Pugh family from Penrhyn Old Hall were Catholics and were persecuted the suggestion of a passage was an escape route for the family if needed.

A similar story existed in Rhuddlan where there is an old banqueting hall in Princess Street. It was said that a passage led from the hall to the castle and was used when the Banqueting Hall was threatened.  It remained just that until I read an article in the local paper many years ago confirming the existence of a passage there
« Last post by DVT on Today at 08:13:39 AM »
Interesting info, Ian.

I have noticed bumble bees in our garden favour one flower - some will just visit buttercups and some will just visit daisies - they don't mix!

Dester - you could well be correct on it being a bit early for butterflies, but I've not seen any caterpillars either!  Last year in Bodnant red admirals were often seen, but not one so far this year by me.
Local News & Discussion / Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Last post by Ian on Today at 07:57:12 AM »
We won't be here over the weekend, although there's a bit of me that would have liked to have been. But we'll be driving the A55 against the flow coming to Llandudno so that could be interesting.
« Last post by Ian on Today at 07:55:10 AM »
"Dr Nigel Raine and Professor Lars Chittka at Queen Mary, University of London found that there is a clear advantage to bees that start out life primed for purple.

"The purple flowers are more rewarding," says Raine.

By rewarding, he means they are unusually nectar-rich. Similar colour preferences are found, but not previously explained, in several other bumblebee species from Asia, Europe and North America, Raine says."
Times Past / Re: John Bright Grammar School
« Last post by Cambrian on Today at 07:30:16 AM »
Hugo

The late Norman Tucker said that a tunnel discovered when the tramway was being constructed on Penrhyn Hill was an old lead mine.  He thought the existence of the tunnel gave rise to the suggestions there was a passage from the hall to the Little Orme.
Local News & Discussion / Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Last post by Fester on Today at 12:04:15 AM »
Estimates range from 150k to 300k people who will ATTEMPT to visit Llandudno for the Armed Forces Day.
I canít imagine the town with up to TEN times the number of visitors that we get on Extravaganza bank hol.  (Thatís if 250k try to attend)
The crowd management, the traffic, and the toilet situation are bad enough with 25k visitors.
Itís unimaginable.
The A55 has only 2 lanes and no hard shoulder. How will ambulances be able to get to and from hospitals?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10