«

»
Maelgwyn Hotel - Lla… Llandudn­o - Wagstaff… Llandudn­o Sauna Bath… Llandudn­o - Royal H… Llandudn­o - The Nels…
Llandudno Sauna Baths - 1969
Click the picture to view full size.

Poster information

Item Info

DaveR

• Administrator
  • Total Items: 2721
  • Total Comments: 28
PostedAugust 13, 2010, 08:20:34 PM
Width × Height799 × 258
Filesize91 KB
Filenamellandudno sauna baths.jpg
Views188
Rating
Comments3
BBC embed code
HTML embed code
Direct link
Comments Sorting comments by date - Ascending Descending

Bedelia

• Total Items: 9
  • Total Comments: 2
Comment #1 - Posted June 18, 2014, 02:48:37 PM
I was going to ask if anyone remembered this!  My mum used to go there in the late 60s/early 70s (and took me with her to wait). 

It was in Upper Mostyn Street, on the right as you go up the hill - and yes, it was an actual sauna, not a euphemism!  There was a sign on the arcade - "SAUNA" in red capitals - pointing customers into the premises (up a staircase?). 

Once you got in, there was a blue tiled plunge pool with rubber plants or palms, and the sauna cubicles themselves.  It all seemed to be rather dimly lit.  I was a child, so I never had a go myself (!), but I remember spending quite a bit of time hanging around at the poolside, waiting for mum.  I suppose this was the pre-spa experience for rainy days when you couldn't go to the beach.  As I recall, it was never very busy though; I don't remember the staff or any other patrons...

DaveR

• Administrator
  • Total Items: 2721
  • Total Comments: 28
Comment #2 - Posted June 25, 2014, 10:58:33 AM
I think you actually went down a flight of stairs to it? I've always believed it was in the basement of J W Ryder' shop (which is still there) and the entrance was in the alleyway to the side of the shop.

Bedelia

• Total Items: 9
  • Total Comments: 2
Comment #3 - Posted July 01, 2014, 10:38:31 PM
You may be right.  I just remember stairs figuring in it somewhere and it was always a bit dark and deserted inside.  There was a children's clothes shop above or next door, I seem to think.  I know I had some clothes from there. 
Aeva Media 1.4w © 2008-2011 Nao & Dragooon - Wedge: level up your forum!