«

»
conwy castle 1900ish Llandudn­o Promenad­e… Rhos On Sea Pier Ear… Llandudn­o Station fr… Llandudn­o Pier Pavil…
Rhos On Sea Pier Early 1900s
Click the picture to view full size.

Poster information

Item Info

DaveR

• Administrator
  • Total Items: 2721
  • Total Comments: 28
PostedOctober 26, 2010, 07:36:48 PM
Width × Height1000 × 581
Filesize128 KB
FilenameRhos On Sea Pier - Early 1900s.jpg
Views1236
Rating
Comments3
BBC embed code
HTML embed code
Direct link
Comments Sorting comments by date - Ascending Descending

Alan Slater

• Total Items: 0
  • Total Comments: 2
Comment #1 - Posted September 04, 2013, 11:57:44 AM
I think this is the only photograph taken from the end of Rhos pier that I have seen. However, one thing puzzles me... the 'twin-peaked' hill to the left does not seem to match the current topography of the area. It can't be Bryn Euryn which is just visible above the buildings to the left of centre and is too high for Colwyn Heights. Does anyone know what it is and whether, therefore, the photograph is really what it purports to be?

DaveR

• Administrator
  • Total Items: 2721
  • Total Comments: 28
Comment #2 - Posted September 23, 2013, 09:24:45 PM
I would say it is Bryn Euryn, but before all the current tree cover has grown? I've noticed in quite a few Victorian era postcards that hills etc are curiously devoid of trees, making 'then & now' comparisons sometimes a little tricky.

Alan Slater

• Total Items: 0
  • Total Comments: 2
Comment #3 - Posted September 30, 2013, 11:57:48 PM
Thank you for responding. Since posting my first comment I have been studying dozens of photographs of Bryn Euryn and I've come to the conclusion that you must be right. Obviously it's difficult to find one now from the same vantage point but I have found some that do, indeed, show the 'twin-peaks' of the hill. As to the absence of trees; that added to my puzzlement originally because the left side of the Bryn visible in the photograph is covered by an ancient woodland that would have been there when the photograph was taken. However, I have found images from around the same period, from different angles, which do show the trees more clearly, particularly around the lower slopes and on the side not visible in this photograph.

Thanks again.
Aeva Media 1.4w © 2008-2011 Nao & Dragooon - Wedge: level up your forum!