Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Times Past / Re: Old Photos of Conwy
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 02:48:26 PM »
Tellytubby sent me this old photo of the queue of traffic that often went from Llandudno Junction to Penmaenmawr and beyond.     I can remember the traffic lights on Conwy Suspension bridge because that was only a single carriageway and then the level crossing  by the old Maelgwyn Pub at Llandudno Junction
Walks in North Wales / Re: Walking
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 02:28:37 PM »
Is that Llanfair PG station Bri?
Games, Jokes & Quizzes / Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 02:27:08 PM »
I didn't notice that Bri but I just hope that the rail companies don't get their timetables wrong and the trains meet in the tubular bridge.
« Last post by Bri Roberts on Today at 01:57:31 PM »
We were not too far away from you, Hugo.
Well done, Hugo, but did you know that trains use the same single track both ways to travel over?
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 01:12:58 PM »
Malltraeth and Aberffraw
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 01:06:41 PM »
On Saturday, Tellytubby and I had a trip to Anglesey so that we could see the Flying Scotsman going over the 19 arched viaduct at Malltraeth.     Driving through Newborough was a nightmare as we had forgotten about the triathlon that was being held there and the main road there is bad even at the best of times.    A stop at the Llyn Parc Mawr  nature reserve to see the Red Squirrels didnít last long as there were no Squirrels to be seen so we continued on to Malltraeth.      After parking the car we had a look at the small Church of Christ our King and near to it we noticed a terrace of small derelict cottages and had a chat with a gentleman who was cutting the grass there and he kindly invited us in to see the cottages.    To call them tiny would be an understatement, they were just three cottages, each with just one small room.   They all had a big fireplace but no visible kitchen or bedroom and certainly no Ty Bach, so how they managed in those days is unimaginable.
Anyway after the nice chat we headed to the viaduct and as we had never been there before we chose to go along the embankment alongside the River Cefni.  It wasnít long before we reached the 19 arched viaduct and as we were a bit early to see the train passing we sat under the viaduct and had our lunch.   
There was no one else around when we first arrived but as the time of the train came nearer loads of people started arriving in their cars and taking up positions ready to take photos of the train as it came over the viaduct.  Before long we could hear it coming and we took some photos but it was all over in a matter of seconds and then the train had gone past on its way to Holyhead.
We then returned to the car and headed to Aberffraw and walked up to the Church of St Cwyfan that is on the island in the bay.   Itís normally a peaceful and tranquil place but on Saturday the continuous drone coming from the racing track of Ty Croes  spoilt the normal silence of this beautiful location
Like a lot of Churches nowadays it was locked up because of unscrupulous thieves and vandals but another thing that disturbed me was what appeared to be 3 holes in the glass windows that were caused by air rifle pellets   Why anyone would want to do such a thing is beyond  my comprehension, I just feel sorry for the morons who have nothing better to do.    After visiting the Island Church we headed back home but stopped to see St Nidanís  Church in Llanidan which is just past Brynsiencyn.    Itís a nice Gothic looking Church that we have passed so many times before but never stopped to have a look at it so yesterday we took advantage and stopped there.    The Church as expected was closed so we had a good look around before heading home
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 12:52:26 PM »
A nice walk too Bri but it looks like you were Lion on your side when you took the photo by the Brittania bridge
Here is an easy one, which we visited last Saturday as part of the Open Doors event.

* Ian, can you please rotate.

FYI, I tried and it did not move for me.
« Last post by Hugo on Today at 09:05:05 AM »
Well done both of you because it must have been a difficult one.

The Church is St Nidan's in Llanidan and can be seen on the right hand side as you get near to Brynsiencyn when you are travelling from Menai Bridge.    The memorial in the Churchyard is of Sir Ellis Jones Ellis-Griffith

St Nidan's Church, Llanidan is a 19th-century parish church near the village of Brynsiencyn, in Anglesey, north Wales. Built between 1839 and 1843, it replaced the Old Church of St Nidan, Llanidan, which needed significant repair, providing a place of Anglican worship nearer to the village than the old church. Some items were moved here from the old church, including the 13th-century font, two bells from the 14th and 15th century, and a reliquary thought to hold the remains of St Nidan. The tower at the west end has been described as "top heavy" and looking like "a water tower".[2]

Sir Ellis Jones Ellis-Griffith, 1st Baronet, PC, KC was a British barrister and radical Liberal politician. He was born Ellis Jones Griffith

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10