Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 375507 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1320 on: July 09, 2024, 02:56:21 pm »
They are two very good garden centres and I hope that any new owners keep up the good standard.       I also hope that any new owner of Talgoed Nursery continue with those delicious breakfasts and don't hike up the price too.         ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1321 on: July 10, 2024, 06:53:11 pm »
I replanted a Common Spotted Orchid a couple of years ago.     It was growing in the middle of my lawn and I moved it to a spot at the back of the garden.   It has grown quite tall and I can only put it down to the fact that it is growing in the shade under a large tree.
Nearby, I have a plant called a Bear's Breeches and it's quite attractive but a bit spiky.  The new leaves are nice but as they grow they seem to get a mildew coating on them and then they look unsightly so I just cut them off.   Other people I've spoken to seem to have had the same problem with their plants

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1322 on: July 25, 2024, 09:45:30 am »
Slugs and snails eating your plants? Here's what Alan Titchmarsh and Monty Don suggest
Katherine Mcphillips discovers four natural ways to protect summer blooms and tender crops

It can be disheartening to spend all year working on your garden to find your plants decimated by slugs and snails. This summer's mild soggy weather has provided the ideal conditions for the slimy creatures who just love all the tasty young growth.

There are a variety of natural ways to keep the ravenous pests at bay, according to horticultural experts.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/slugs-and-snails-eating-your-plants-heres-what-alan-titchmarsh-and-monty-don-suggest?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1323 on: July 25, 2024, 10:54:23 pm »
Mrs H and I were talking about this subject this week, the wet conditions are perfect for slugs and snails.   We used to have loads of the black slugs in the garden, some as long as 6 inches in length but we haven't seen any here for years and we don't use slug pellets either
Perhaps it's the Badgers and the occasional Fox that visit our garden daily that have eaten them

Offline SteveH

Cats are able to roam freely in our gardens but if you’re not a feline fan, you might be wondering how to keep them away.

Although they’re legally allowed to roam on our lawns and patios, sometimes you might wish they’d wander elsewhere.

If this is you, there are a few ways you can prevent cats from coming into your garden without causing them harm.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24481752.keep-cats-away-garden-without-hurting/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1325 on: July 29, 2024, 11:32:52 am »
I've seen some lovely, friendly cats about but I'm no fan of cats.   The smell when the Tom cat sprays on anything is awful but it's their hunting instinct I don't like.   They have killed a number of birds in my garden, but they don't kill them for food just killing them for the sake of it.
One brazen cat used to sit on my garden wall just under a bird feeder and wasn't bothered by the fact that we were in the sun lounge watching him.   It isn't a problem if we are home as we just open the door and let our dog out and he soon scares them off.     The problem arises when we are not there so I  recently bought something to stop the cat going on the wall.     It's like a plastic mat with spikes all over it, it won't cause any harm to the cats but it must be so uncomfortable for them as they have stopped sitting on the wall

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1326 on: July 30, 2024, 09:32:35 am »
We have one that visits now and again, sprays in the same spot, and has caught a few of our garden birds, we use a lot of lemons, and  spread the rinds around the garden, under shrubs etc, it appears to have worked where it was spraying, fingers crossed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1327 on: August 13, 2024, 11:13:40 am »
I planted a few Agapanthus in my window box a couple of years ago and the blue variety looks good this year but the white variety is a bit disappointing.
The yellow Begonia just adds a bit of colour to the steps

Offline SteveH

Re: Gardening.......Monty Don's 'bulb lasagne' long-lasting springtime displays
« Reply #1328 on: September 05, 2024, 09:52:54 am »
September marks a seasonal shift and has "always been one of the best months", according to horticultural expert Monty Don. The garden is bathed in "golden light" as summer colour fades into the russets of autumn.

In his monthly blog, Monty has shared details about what needs doing outside. While weeding and deadheading roll on from month to month, there are also seeds to collect, before they disperse, then stored in a jar or paper envelope in the fridge – but never use a plastic bag, he stresses.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/monty-dons-bulb-lasagne-will-give-long-lasting-springtime-displays?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589