The Local > Times Past

Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs

<< < (23/34) > >>

Hugo:
Miriam was a remarkable woman Ed, she lived in a cave which I believe was on the old maps as Gogarth cave and the cave is now hidden by the garage door in St Petrocks. The cave was in the way for the construction of the Marine Drive but Miriam refused to leave the cave unless Mostyn Estates gave her a cottage which they did. She ran a business from the cottage called Gogarth Tea Rooms and the remains of the cottage are still there.
I pass it often when I walk around the Orme and the kitchen tiles are still there and well preserved.
I used to speak to you Dad often on the Prom and Ted always knew every one of us and had a word every time we went by. A lovely guy who died far too young.

jane B:
What a great story! A remarkable family!

Hugo:
These are some of the photos of Miriam that appeared in Jim Roberts' book Llandudno.  The books great and I've read it so often some of the pages have fallen out!
The last photo is of the steps that Miriam was pictured on. They're still here and often think of her in the old photo of over 100 years ago when I walk past them

Llechwedd:
I've often wondered where those steps led to!

Hey Ed we went to school together. I thought you wanted to join the navy?

martin:
Hugo it is really fascinating that someone could live in a cave in this country and live to such a ripe old age, do you have the full details of the publication please, I would really like to try and obtain a copy from the 'tinternet.  Thank you for posting such an interesting story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version